First, the paperwork:
- Complete the driver registration form & waiver form (if not already registered);
- Pay the registration fee (if not already paid);
- Select a loaner car if needed & fill out a receipt (first-come, first-pick; only a limited number are available);
- Randomly draw for a car sponsor;
- Select a car number (if not carried over from last year);
- Age class will be assigned;
- You'll be advised of the time to report on race day;
- Final instructions will be given & ways to thank your car sponsor;
- Select driver's t-shirt size (t-shirts will be handed out on race day);
- Crews may order additional t-shirts (there will be a charge).
Second, the car inspection:
- Car is inspected for compliance with the "OFFICIAL RACECAR SPECIFICATIONS";
- Assistance will be given as needed;
- Inspector will advise if minor work on the car is needed or if re-inspection is needed;
- After the car passes inspection (or passes on an interim basis), then:
- Wheels and axle brackets may be selected.
As noted in PART II of the "OFFICIAL RACECAR SPECIFICATIONS," if the car passes (or passes on an interim basis), you only need to come to ONE car inspection. If the car doesn't pass, it will need come back for re-inspection a 2nd time (or maybe a 3rd time) until it passes. That's one of the reasons why we schedule three inspection dates. So, a friendly word of advice: If you are building a new car and are unsure about it passing and/or meeting specification, we strongly suggest bringing it to the 1st inspection. That way, if there's more work to be done on the car, there's time to do it before the 2nd or 3rd inspection. The cars will also receive one final inspection on race day before being allowed to compete.
As always, if you have any questions at all about the New Berlin Soap Box Derby (general or specific), please contact a member through the website or by phone.